Xiaomi just announced Mi 8 Explorers Edition along with the flagship Mi8 at an event in China. It comes with the same 6.21-inch FHD+ AMOLED display made by Samsung with a notch and 88.5% screen-to-body ratio. It is powered by Snapdragon 845 chipset with 8GB of RAM. It also runs on Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI on top.
It has a 12MP rear camera with Sony IMX363 sensor, 1.4µm pixel size, OIS, Dual Pixel auto focus and a secondary 12MP rear camera for AI portraits has AI scene recognition. It has a 20MP front camera that support AI portrait selfies with real-time background blur, AI Studio Light Effect.
The Mi 8 Explorer Edition comes with a pressure-sensitive in-display fingerprint sensor that has dedicated pressure sensor. It has 3D face unlock that uses advanced structured lighting technology to capture 33,000 facial points. It lets you create ani-emojis based on facial expressions, same as Apple’s Animoji and features a transparent back.
The company said that it scored 105 in DxO Mark for photo and the overall DxO Mark score is 99. It packs a 3000mAh battery with support for Quick Charge 4+. Lets take a look on the specs.
Xiaomi Mi 8 / Mi 8 Explorer Edition specifications
- 6.21-inch (2248 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 18:7:9 AMOLED display with 600 nits brightness, 60000:1 contrast ratio, DCI-P3 color gamut
- 2.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 845 64-bit 10nm Chipset with Adreno 630 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 256GB (UFS 2.1) storage
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI 9, upgradable to MIUI 10
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 12MP rear camera with 26mm wide-angle lens, 1/2.6″ Sony IMX363 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, 1.4µm pixel size, dual-tone LED flash, 4-axis OIS, Optical zoom, 4K video recording, secondary 12MP rear camera with Samsung S5K3M3 sensor, f/2.4 aperture, 1.0µm pixel size, 2X zoom
- 20MP front-facing camera with real-time AI portraits
- 3D Face unlock, in-display fingerprint sensor
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5, Dual-frequency (L1+L5) GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3000mAh battery with Quick Charge 4+ fast charging
The Mi 8 Explorer Edition with transparent back and an in-display fingerprint sensor is priced at 3699 yuan (INR 39,000 approx). It only comes in 8GB RAM and 256GB storage version. It will be available in China from June 5th.