IFA 2018 : Huawei announced the Kirin 980, its next-generation chipset for the high-end devices. It is world’s first 7nm processor and with dedicated Dual Neural Processing Unit (NPU) and 5G support. It has support for LTE Cat.21 offering download speeds of up to 1.4 Gbps.
The kirin 980 is an Octa-Core SoC- The two ARM Cortex A76 Cores clocked up to 2.6GHz for Turbo performance, two ARM Cortex A76 Cores clocked up to 1.92GHz for Long-lasting performance and four ARM Cortex A55 Cores clocked up to 1.8 GHz for power efficiency. It packs 6.9 billion transistors into a chip the size of a fingernail. It is the first chipset to run on Cortex-A76 cores and Mali G76 graphic processing unit.
With Dual NPU, it can recognize up to 4,600 images per minute, 120% more compared to the Kirin 970.
Specifications of Huawei Kirin 980 SoC :
- Up to 2.6GHz dual-core ARM Cortex A76 + up to 1.9 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex A76 + up to 1.8GHz ARM Cortex A55, i8 co processor
- 720 MHz ARM Mali-G76MP10 GPU
- TSMC 7nm process
- Memory: 4x 16-bit LPDDR4X at 2133MHz
- Dual Neural Processing Unit (NPU)
- Dual ISP with 46% increase in performance
- Video: HDR10; 4K at 60fps decoding, 4K at 30fps encoding
- Security Engine
- Integrated Multi-mode 4G LTE Modem – Category 21 FDD / TDD for downloads (up to 1.4 Gbps), 4 x 4 MIMO, 5CC CA, 256QAM; 200 Mbps downloads, 2×2 MIMO, 1x20MHz CA, 256-QAM
- 5G ready with Balong 5000 Modem
The Huawei Kirin 980 SoC will power the Mate 20 series that will be announced at an event in London on October 16th.
Richard Yu, CEO of HUAWEI Consumer Business Group, said:
Last year, we showed the world the potential of On-Device AI with the Kirin 970, and this year, we’ve designed an all-round powerhouse that not only features outstanding AI capabilities, but also brings cutting-edge raw performance to consumers.Equipped with all-new CPU, GPU and Dual NPU, the Kirin 980 is the ultimate engine to power the next-generation productivity and entertainment applications.