Samsung has officially introduced its foldable smartphone dubbed as Galaxy Fold at its Unpacked event. The company has revealed it as prototype at the SDC last November. Samsung says that it has Samsung’s largest-ever smartphone display and added that it has been in development over eight years following the debut of Samsung’s first flexible display prototype in 2011.
The galaxy fold comes with 7.3-inch QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED 4.2:3 aspect ratio Infinity Flex Display, which folds into a compact device with a 4.6-inch HD+ Super AMOLED 21:9 aspect ratio cover display. It is powered by Snapdragon 855 with 12GB of RAM.
In addition to triple rear cameras and dual front cameras, similar to the S10+, it also has a 10MP camera for the front cover display. It has new UX with several features such as App Continuity so apps will automatically show up where you leave off when you open and close the display and the Multi-Active Window lets you open up to three active apps simultaneously on the main display so you can surf, text, work, watch and share easily.
It uses new polymer layer that makes the display around 50% thinner than the typical smartphone display and the new material makes Galaxy Fold flexible and tough, built to last. It has a hinge with multiple interlocking gears housed in a hidden enclosure for a seamless closing and opening, and elegant look.
It has fingerprint on the side where the thumb naturally rests, so the device unlocks easily and features engraved hinge with Samsung logo complete its elegant fit and finish. It has two batteries for a total of 4,380mAh battery and comes with support for wired and wireless fast charging.
Specifications of Samsung Galaxy Fold :
- 7.3-inch QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED 4.2:3 aspect ratio main display, 4.6-inch HD+ Super AMOLED 21:9 aspect ratio cover display
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Chipset with Adreno 640 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR4x RAM, 512GB storage (UFS 2.1)
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/2.4-f/1.5 variable aperture, OIS, 12MP Telephoto lens with 45° FoV, f/2.4 aperture, 16MP 123° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture with 0.5X/2X optical zoom, up to 10X digital zoom
- 10MP Dual Pixel front-facing camera with 80° wide-angle lens, f/1.9 aperture, secondary 8MP depth sensor with f/2.2 aperture, 90° FoV
- 10MP cover camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted Fingerprint Sensor
- 5G Sub6 / mmWave (28G, 39G), 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 4×4 MIMO, Bluetooth 5, GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- 4,380mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
The Samsung Galaxy Fold comes in Space Silver, Cosmos Black, Martian Green and Astro Blue colors. It is priced at US$ 1,980 (INR 1,40,760 approx.) for the 5G version, while 4G version will also be available. It will be available in the U.S. through AT&T and T-Mobile in the Q2 2019.